Welcome

If you want to read more, try http://SedonaExcentric .com

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Can I Get An Amen?

I just saw a new poll taken in Mississippi and Alabama that showed the majority of republicans planning to vote believe that the President of the United States, Barack Obama, is a Muslim. Inspite of the fact that he converted to Christianity, attended a Christian church with his wife and family, was sworn in to the office using the Bible and continues to claim he has accepted Jesus as his savior.

What is it with these people? Isn't it bad enough that there are movies, songs, books, cartoons and comedians constantly reminded the rest of the world just how ignorant residents of the deep south in the United States are regarding any topic but NASCAR standings and "cheesy grits?" I was raised in Virginia, sadly becoming more southern each day. I remember the confederate flags across the trucks' back windows, shading the gun racks and the rampant prejudice that came with the "The South is going to rise again" bumper stickers. Maybe, it's just as simple as one of their comedic heroes, Ron White, put it - You Can't Fix Stupid.
I attended high school in 1968, a year after the school integrated. I was small and got slammed against lockers often. I was even hung upside down and swung from my ankles by a couple of bullies in front of classmates. One day while a large white male was slamming me into a locker, a black student happened by. He was Calvin, the fullback of our football team and a bass in the choir where I sang tenor and alto as a freshman. Calvin slammed the bully against the wall and told him to pick on someone his own size. I guess the word got out that Calvin was my friend because the bullies backed off somewhat after that incident. I never properly thanked Calvin, although at the time I would probably have kissed his class ring.

I carried some of that taught prejudice with me into my adult years. I found it wasn't easy to unlearn something that been ingrained in you most of your life. I was fortunate enough to play music with black musicians in Norfolk in my twenties. I remember smoking a joint on a corner in the projects in Norfolk and being told by the drummer that times had definitely changed since my high school days. "There were times your white face wouldn't have been welcomed here," he offered with a sly grin. We ended up performing in an all-black nightclub one weekend. I looked around and immediately thought, I get it. I get what being a minority might feel like. Not that I could really understand being black in America in one weekend, but it was eye opening.

Back to the white southerners who continue to brandish hatred and prejudice -u even if just through economics. Christians of every denomination, Catholic, Evangelical, Baptist, Protestant, Mormon, etc. send out missionaries to convert the world to their religious views - to save them - from what I'm still not sure. I am a recovering Catholic, being taught that whistling in the house was calling the devil and punishment for cursing could include burning your hands in the oven. Religion with zeal? I find it difficult to understand how my fellow Americans could believe that all non-Christian people around the globe can be converted to their Christian faith, but the President of the United States could not. More than just a bit hypocritical. They send emissaries to convert Muslims, Jews, Athiests, Pagans and anyone else who has yet to join their club, but yet won't accept that President Obama had already converted. It would seem there is no way they can wrap their heads around the fact that the President of the United States is black - actually he is more pecan tan - because his mother was white.

I am trying to be a proud American - being made difficult by the rampant prejudice that is pervading our country to this day - be it against Hispanics or African Americans. I am proud when we stand together to help strangers during tragedies and extend a hand to the needy without questioning one's beliefs. I live in a world of hope - a hope that we can accept each other's differences with respect and understanding, perhaps even learning something from someone with those differing views.
In spite of all the mess I see and hear being spewed in the name of religion, I find myself a more spiritual man than ever. Perhaps that's why I was given songs to record in the name of Music for Social Change.

Wishing us all . . . love!
Peace - Ho'oponopono

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?