Welcome

If you want to read more, try http://SedonaExcentric .com

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Excentric

Roof job completed - Bob Behmer, Tim, Kim, Nate et al were professional, responsive, thorough and fair. I couldn't have had a better experience. My roof looks great - and for the first time matches the color schemes of the rest of my house. We bought the house 18+ years ago, putting in a bid that was at first refused but accepted after the owner thought it was sold and moved to another area. After that deal fell through, our offer was accepted. Mind you, the house was interesting - no heater, I chopped wood for seven years - so, the owner had to carry the loan with 15% down. He had built the house for his first wife, who died in the house, the Kelly green house with green tiled roof. His next wife hated green, enter beige vinyl siding with matching beige soffit and cocoa brown fascia - and the 30-year green roof. Now the roof tile is brown and makes the house looks great.

December 8th's storm caused some damage and leakage resulting in damage. Already did insurance claim guy, blogged about that experience earlier - wasn't bad. Finding the right windows and door at an affordable rate is a tough task. Hoping all work is finished in 30 days, before my mom-in-law arrives from Cape Cod for 3 weeks. She's a good egg and mellowing with age. Actually, she's one of the few relatives I really like. Maybe it's because she listens to your likes and dislikes and almost always finds something to bring you that you are sure to enjoy - whether it be food, cooking tools, house things, like holiday trinkets and candles. For a couple of years she was involved in helping me decorate our house as the one with the tackiest Christmas lights and displays. We won for years, hands down. Hoping to pass those tools to a nephew with a sense of humor.

Heard from a dear old friend from North Carolina. We used to play music together in Woodbridge, Virginia and then years later in Norfolk and Virginia Beach. We went to rival high schools and didn't care. We created harmonies to Catholic hymns at Sunday mass. We were roommates once, along with his older brother. I learned a lot from those two. As time passed, I felt more the teacher and continue to enjoy our relationship. You know, you tell your blood relatives you love them, and you really do, but not usually because of how they are, but who they are. By that, I mean how they are around others - children, cats, dogs, plants, older people, strangers, relatives, friends. It's how we are that defines who we are.

An example: I was taking my wife to the dentist a hundred miles from our home. Six miles into the trip, I run out of gas - my car  - my responsibility. Now the computer says I have 102 miles before I'm in need of fuel. The fuel gauge itself reads over an eigth of a tank - and we stall - on the highway, nothing, bupkiss. I limp to the side of the road. She gets out, calls a neighbor, asks her to meet her to take her to her car and starts walking - cool as a cucumber. How she was at the time made we love who she is. There are always going to be myriad obstacles tossed our way in a variety of sizes, shapes and intensities. How we are about those everyday events defines who we are. I have been making a pool of friends based on how they are. Some I've known for a very long time, some I've not, others I have yet to meet and am looking forward to the experience.

Cardinals got spanked today, but that was to be expected. All the psychics are putting other people's money on the Saints to go all the way. I have liked them since the few fans they had at a time of continuous losing streaks would wear paper bags over their heads at the games and called the team the Aints. I guess I have always been a supporter of the underdog. I was so used to being the underdog, that my affection for the blue collar grunt with a pipe dream earned my salvo of cheers. The winds of victory for the Aints looks good this season since they caught a Brees. Way too poetic for late night. My friend needs positive thoughts for his back, so anyone reading this, send Tony's back some love and healing light.

That's all for now . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?